As women, we tend to take care of everyone else. We leave ourselves last instead of investing in ourselves. We have to do better about putting us first and one way to do that is by investing in knowledge and motivation. Brushing up on some of the latest reads can help you accomplish this!
If you’re anything like me, I make a goal to read a certain amount of books throughout the year. I even buy the books, and they sit on my coffee table for forever. However, there are a good few that other Sisterfriends and myself have been able to get into. Check out these 12 books every black girls needs to read to feed their soul, spirit, mind and humor.
- The Sisters Are Alright: Changing the Broken Narrative of Black Women in America by Tamara Winfrey Harris
- We’re Going to Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union
- Sweet Potato Soul by Jenne Claiborne
- Words from a Wanderer by Alex Elle
- The Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in The Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
- Dear Sisterfriend by The Strength of SHE
- The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir by Jenifer Lewis
- Black Girl Baking: Wholesome Recipes Inspired by a Soulful Upbringing by Jerrelle Guy
- Dusty Crowns by Heather Lindsey
- I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual by Luvvie Ajayi
- The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae
- The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish